Re: giving money to gnome

    Richard> My view on the problem you state is quite simple: Red Hat
    Richard> is not the enemy.  Microsoft is the enemy.

 What do we need enemies for?  It's such a waste of time and energy.

 I don't think it is practical to `ban' all commercial software.
 Somebody's got to pay the programmer... after `college' is over, I'd
 kind of like to have a paying job at this.

 Without the free software "movement", (that's us), there's no way in
 doshell I'd ever have seen the sources to the programs I've gotten to
 look through.  I'd never have a POSIX OS on my desktop.  I'd not have
 this opportunity to learn these things.  And I doubt I'm the only
 one...

 I really like what Franz is doing.  They've released Allegro 4.3 for
 Linux.  You can get it and use it for free, with the stipulation that
 iff you start making money at it, you have to licence it from them.
 It's good to have a chance to use the same Lisp environment I'd wind
 up using if I was hired as a Lisp programmer.

 We have to remember that the guys writing the commercial and in-house
 stuff that we don't get to see *really* know their stuff.  We should
 court their assistance, rather than bratting about hOw baD tHeY Suk.