Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

--------
On Tue, Jul 29 1997 14:46 EDT Dale Scheetz writes:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Clint Adams wrote:
> > I don't believe that export restrictions are a copyright issue.
> >
> They most certainly are when they invalidate a copyright. The current
> export restrictions on encryption make it impossible to assign a "Free"
> copyright/license to those pieces of software that fall under the export
> restrictions.

But this is an US-centric view. If you live in a `free' country, e.g.
The Netherlands, Poland, or Switzerland where (AFAIK) no cryptographic
laws exist (yet) you can very well write 'Free Software' and distribute
it; but just not into countries where Cryptography is forbidden for normal
people (Russia, France, and Iraq [AFAIK again]) or re-exportation is
restricted (USA [I assume importing is legal, but re-export is not
allowed). Am I missing something?

This would suggest splitting non-us into non-free/free etc. PGP would go into
non-free, since you need a license to use IDEA commercially (and _not_ for
the RSA issue, which holds only in the U.S, AFAIK [again])

David