Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> >4. non-free
> >===========
> >
> >Every package in non-free must be freely distributable via our ftp server
> >and its mirrors in form of a `.deb' binary package.
>
> So if someone signs the gated distribution license, states that he is
> fully responsible for all the consequences etc in the copyright file, that
> the Debian Project does not consider that package a part of its
> distribution etc etc and uses our ftp server to do so then its ok?

No. Every piece of software that is put on ftp.debian.org (or related
sites) is considered as "distributed by the Debian Project/SPI". There is
no way to change this by adding a statement to the copyright file or
anywhere else.

Debian will _not_ sign any contracts just to be allowed to distribute a
package (not even for "non-free"). This would be clearly against our
goals.

However, the "Vitamin D" project could sign the license and distribute the
package on _their_ ftp servers (if Vitamin D-people agree--I don't know).

(Hope this is clear now :-)

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/