Re: The FREE Debian phone support hotline.

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Karl Ferguson wrote:

> At 08:24 AM 23/04/97 +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> >Wasn't a helpdesk invented with Dale Sheetz as the consultant?
> >I seem to remember that we weren't very clear about its usefullness,
> >but as there exist hotlines for other distributions we should have
> >one, too.
>
> I've heard nithing about this before - perhaps it should be documented
> somehwere...

Well, at this point there is little to document. The current problem is
that one person (myself) is not enough to provide the coverage necessary.
I can only be available for four hours per day, so more participants are
needed to actually get off the ground.
The plan is to sell coupons to CD distributors (at between $5 and $8 a
coupon) Each coupon entitles the holder to one phone consultation, or two
emails and will contain an authorization number that will provide access
to the consultant. At between 3 and 5 minutes per call there is the
potential for the consultant to make, in the neighborhood of, $25 per hour
for talking on the phone.
What we need at the moment is more concultants, so if you would like to
make some money by doing Debian consulting over the phone, please contact
me so we can discuss the situation.

I am interested in this project but have mixed feelings about the demand
for such services. Debian-user is, for me, the best help desk in
existance, and is free. Why would anyone, in their right mind, want to pay
for help?

Since someone else will be providing the "infrastructure" for this help
desk idea, the only resources I will be called on to provide is myself, so
if it works, I will make some money. If it fails, someone else will take
the losses. Sounds like a deal to me ;-)

If you are already doing Debian consulting and would like to broaden your
access to users, please contact me and I will gladly put you on the list.

Luck,

Dwarf