Re: source packages and upstream source

Hi,
>>"Mark" == Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

>> distributing the original. We don't seem to gain anything. This is
>> probably reason for a change in the procedure manual. Comments?

Mark> I lost track of why we use the .orig tar file at all; I was
Mark> starting to thing it was just a side effect of deb-make, but it
Mark> is indeed in ch-sourcepackage.html section 3.3...

      Do we not want our archives to contain the full, original,
 sources? (as well as document where we got it from, of course). I
 want a one-stop means of building debian packages.

      Or else put a mechanism in place that keeps things in incoming
 untill original sources are retrieved, and md5sums compared [so we
 know we are giving our users the same sources audited by our
 maintainers].  This is not very workable. Not even if the testers are
 to retrieve the original; I don't want to radically change the way
 our archives are, even the unstable section.

     Or is this way off mark? (no pun intended)

Mark> I'd certainly be much happier if I could cut my upload times in
Mark> half (by only uploading the .deb, .dsc, .diff.gz, .changes files
Mark> from home, and pulling the upstream source from the upstream
Mark> site directly to master -- the bits are the same, if the md5sum
Mark> matches, and really, *most* of the packages I maintain are
Mark> already packaged the way we'd want them to be...)

      You only need upload the originals the *first* time, and
 subsequently just upload the diffs etc, even under current policy.
 Somebody, somewhere, has to upload each new upstream version.

     What am I missing?

     manoj

--
 "Pessimists have already begun to worry about what is going to
 replace automation." John Tudor