SSH Clarification

In a recent mailing I announced the availability of SSH on master.debian.org.

Please notice these IMPORTANT points:

1.  You are NOT to download any encryption technology, ssh code and programs
    included, unless you are a US citizen and reside in the US.

2.  If you are a US Citizen and reside in the US, you may download and use
    ssh, but you must link it with the RSAREF2 library as clearly indicated
    in the installation directions.

3.  You are NOT permitted to use ssh, or any other facility provided by
    iConnect Corp (master.debian.org, mail vis debia.org domain, etc. for any
    illegal, immoral or unethical purpose.  No exception.

4.  My understanding of encryption restriction in this great land of freedom:
    a.  Encryption technology is not to be exported without license.
    b.  License is only granted by the US government to large corporation for
        exporting to such democratic government as Communist China, Former
        USSR, Vietnam, Iran and few others.
    c.  Documentation on how to compile, install and use a software product
        is NOT encryption technology.
    d.  Import and use inside the US of encryption technologies for peaceful
        and legal purposes is still permitted.
    e.  The restriction on using IDEA and non RSAREF2 code in the US, for non
        commercial purposes is somewhat confused and restricted by CIVIL
        copyright and patent laws.
    f.  Some of these patents will expire next year anyway.
    g.  If you are not a party to these rights and are not damaged by their
        alleged violation, you have no civil legal claim due to such alleged
        violation.

5.  Again;  Neither the undersigned, nor iConnect Corp. break any law nor
    regulation knowingly.  If you feel that you are damaged by any of our
    actions, please notify me immediately and I will take corrective action.

A warm thank-you to all that have expressed concern for my safetly, freedom
and welfare in this acto of civil bravery :-)

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 04/26/96, 08:21:34 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro
Director of Technology     i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008